Friday, July 21, 2006

Around the World in Two Weeks - Mexico City Day 1

After a 18 hour trip across the Pacific from Tokyo , we finally arrived in Mexico City (via San Fransisco).

It's such a huge change going from a country like Japan to a place like Mexico. Truthfully, my first feeling about Mexico City was that I didnt like it. Maybe its because I was tired but I didn' t feel the same excitement as I did when we arrived in Tokyo. Mexico City has a sinister feel to it. It's dirty, and there are cops with bulletproof vests everywhere.

The taxi dropped us off in a part of town that is called the "Zona Rosa". Apparently its a tourist/trendy/gay area with lots of restaurants and bars. Anyway, after we checked in properly, Chuck and Guillaume from Serbromex came to the hotel to pick us up for dinner. One of my colleagues really wanted to eat a huge Mexican steak so we went to a churrasco place nearby. I was so tired I hardly remember what anyone was taking about. We ate a steak (actually just half), had a tequila (Don Julio Reserve - very smooth) and I quickly walked myself back to the hotel as the others went for a nightcap at a live music bar. My sinister feeling of this place was confirmed as I walked passed three teenagers beating up a fourth (and I mean angry beating, not playing around) and abum passed out in the middle of the sidewalk. You wouldn't see that in Tokyo...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home