Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Around the World in Two Weeks - Tokyo Day 4

Quite an uneventful day today. Had coffee at the usual place, went to office and basically did nothing but watch my other colleague train our partners in hardware support. We had a talk with Nakano-san about the Japanese postproduction market. He basically spelled out what I've been thinking all along. If you manage to satisfy the Japanese market, you can satisfy the rest of the world. The Japanese are very demanding about everything they do. It must be perfect.

As it was raining like, Hajimi ordered take-away for us in the office. To my dismay, it was grilled eel on rice. I've decided that eel isn't for me. The meat is particularly sweet, something I don't like very much. Nakano-san said that it's quite aa popular meal among office workers as it is said that eel boosts your stamina. I just ate it to be nice...

After we left the office, we went back to the hotel and I crashed for a knap (after putting on some laundry). About an hour and a half later, Nakano-san and a colleague of his picked us up to take us for a site seeing tour around Tokyo. We took the JR (the Japanese Railway service) over the river to a huge mall. Nakano-san explained that it's voted the "#1 destination in Tokyo for tourists". After our host negotiated with the resaurant staff, we got a table on a terasse overlooking the harbor. A very impressive site to say the least.

Looking back at my short stay here, I'm still undecided whether I would want to live here (if I had the chance). Tokyo is not much different from any other metropolis. I think, obviously, that it's the Japanese way of life that makes it stand out as being so bizarre. If I could use a few words to describe the Japanese (based on my encounters) they would be:
  • Ceremonial
  • Perfectionist
  • Patient
  • Innovative
I would have loved to stay here a bit more as a tourist and explore a bit deeper. Oh well, maybe next time. I can probably come here for free with all the miles that I will acquire from this trip.

We are flying out tomorrow at 4pm. Time to trade the "sashimi" for "tortillas" and the "konichiwa" for "hola". It'll be a total of 16 hours from here to Mexico City. Hooray for Business Class!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home